Sunday, August 15, 2010

Ashes and Snails

After hearing a talk by an eminent escargologist about the homing instincts of garden snails who said that putting a bucketful of them into a nearby field will not get rid of them (of course we wouldn't lob them over our neighbours fence, would we...?) I put an enormous (bigger than your hand) spider in the yard. I wonder if it will return to the kitchen?

Unfortunately all the carers are terrified of mice and spiders and one said, after a terrific scream and leap across the room, that a spider crawling over the top of the washing basket had nearly given her a heart attack! Mind you, I'm just the same with large moths. They may be my sisters and brothers in the dharma but when they are batting around a lampshade all that is forgotten. I try not to kill them, but sure don't like to co-habit with them.

If I were to live in Buddha Mind all the time, not that I can do anything else, how can I kill what is eternal? How can Buddha Nature (or God nature) ever die, it seems only to change form.

Firewood is not Ash as Master Dogen said. Firewood doesn't deter snails but ashes do. (So do broken eggshells by the way!)

1 comment:

  1. I'm happy to share about my experience with big snails. Our back garden in Salt Lake was prime habitat. The best foils were skunks and raccoons who seem to consider raw escargot a delicacy. Can you foster a relationship with one of those critters? Alternatively, diatomaceous earth (the shells of plankton) works like eggshells and can be bought at garden shops. Firewood? Ash? Someone will eat it.

    ReplyDelete