Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Don't Waste Your Time

Daido Roshi will soon be passing from this world, please pray for him. He is one of Maezumi Roshis' successors and is abbot of Zen Mountain Monastery in upstate New York. I remember him as a big man with a huge heart who used all his talents to the full for the dharma.

Life and death really are of extreme importance, as we hear at the end of the day's meditation:
"Let me respectfully remind you, life and death are of extreme importance. Time swiftly passes by and opportunity is lost. Let us awaken, awaken, take heed. Do not squander your life."

Daido did not squander his life, in fact he used it in the best way possible.

Squandering is the grit in the shoe. (See yesterdays blog) So here's an ill-remembered poem from long ago. I have given it a new name:

"What's it all about Alfie?"

As when a child I laughed and wept,
Time crept.
Later as I grew,
Time flew.
Soon, as I go wondering on
Time will be gone.
Will God have saved
My soul by then?
Amen

Well, it's no good leaving it all up to God. It's up to us to go sit. Today in Lancashire, UK it's bucketing down and the sky is grey and heavy. Perfect sitting weather...


4 comments:

  1. How wonderful it is to be able to sit when nothing else is working and even when it is! I go through stages when sitting is the least of things and now recently when it is the most of things! I remember Genshin Sensei at Shodo An retreats ending with "Awaken Awaken!Do Not Squander Your Life"!!! We die too soon so lets live each day awake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear from a Shodo-An participant! How are you getting on? Best wishes, Genshin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life is an inspiration for me, Genshin. And the retreats at Shodo-An were wonderful. Would love to join at Kannonji sometime. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Wynn, the retreats at Shodo-An were spectacular. Genshin, I spent most time with you of all teachers. Can you imagine not talking to Genpo Roshi for 6 years? I have missed you so much. As Bruce Kosho Waldrop used to say, "Love you MEAN it!" Since he passed away, I have been spreading this phrase all over the earth. It's the MEAN IT part that converts people to accept the "I Love You" and I want to tell you that I do. I very much enjoyed the Park City zendo under your tutelage and remember bringing you a tea in the morning once with a spoon that I tried to really, really shine. I didn't want a SPOT on it and it was 5:30 am. When I arrived to your room, you were so peaceful and you looked at me very intensely. I thought, "Uh oh! I made the tea wrong! Too much sugar or something" and you said, "Peedee, look, it's a deer greeting us." And I had a small glimpse, not only of you, the deer and my effort to make a perfect cup of tea but of the Dharma. :) *Strongest Hugs* Peedee

    ReplyDelete